Diamond and Richard had twins 12/16/12! One blue-eyed white male, and one mosaic male. They will be eight weeks old on February 10th, 2013.
As though the last few days haven't been completely filled with all kinds of cuteness with new babies arriving, I also have an Onion update. Onion is doing fantastic! I believe his ulcer is completely healed. There is no more divot, he no longer squints, all puffiness and pink around his eye is gone, and his eye is no longer weeping. His cornea is however covered in blood vessels (that helped him heal, but block his vision now), so he will still need to return for more vet work (poor guy just can't catch a break). With any luck Onion and I can get this figured out by the end of the week!
Butterscotch was pregnant (unbeknownst to us) when we brought her home. Today she delivered four adorable little babies!
These babies have not been sexed yet, but they will be when they're bigger. They were born 12/15/12, and will be ready for their new homes 1/5/13. They are $30 each or two (same sex) for $50. Check the Guinea Pig page for updates!
Pants and Smee were adopted together (YAY! - Congrats Tana and family)!
In other guinea pig news, Butterscotch looks miserable. She must be due soon. Hers will be a surprise litter as she came to us bred (unbeknownst to us). Expect updates and photos when the new babies arrive.
I've made a ChipIn for Onion. So far his donation can at the local pet store has earned him $19 and some change.
Onion - Today I was met with grim news. Even on his second antibiotic, Onion's eye has worsened. His condition is now very severe. I was given a third antibiotic (to be administered 6x per day for a week, then 4x per day the following week) and told to come back in a week or two. It's highly likely that he will lose the eye. If (or more aptly When) Onion's corneal ulcer ruptures, he will need surgery to remove the eye (or to be put down). This procedure was estimated at $250-$300. If the new antibiotic works, I will know by 12/14. On the other side, if the antibiotic fails, I need to raise $300 to assure he can get his surgery. There is a Paypal link on the Rescue page, and there is a donation container at the local pet store (Pet North in Brainerd).
Rumplestiltskin - A new interesting turn of events with Rumple today. After a thorough physical exam, it was descovered that Rumple does not have testicles or a penis. That said, Rumple doesn't have a properly formed girl part either. That said, my next option is to wait until Rumple is old enough and bring him/her back to have spay surgery. From there the vet staff can confirm if there is a uterus in there. It's possible that Rumple is a female with malformed genitals, or potentially an intersex kitty. There was no comment on trying to fix Rumple's bottom, I think even the vet has given up on that, but they did confirm that Rumplestiltskin remains "not fit for sale" at this point in time.
Autumn - Next week Autumn will go in for her FIV/FeLeuk test. If she's negative, she will have a new home for the holidays! I've never had any of my rescues test positive (knock on wood), but I'm still nervous. Autumn was outside before she came to me, so it's possible, and if she's positive I'm not sure I can find her a home.
Parsnip - Still here, perfectly healthy and waiting for his forever home. If he's still with me when Onion goes back to the vet, I'll bring him with for a rabies vaccination.
Pants and Smee - The baby guinea pigs will be meeting with a couple tomorrow that may adopt both, so they can stay together! Yay!
Harry - Still here, healthy and waiting for a forever home.
Guinea Pigs - One of the new guinea pigs appears to have been bred when we brought her home. We may have a surprise litter soon!
Hamsters - I've added a pair of dwarf hamsters and a pair of gerbils to my breeding lines. We'll see how these new ventures work out.
Chinchillas - I have two male chinchillas that I'm trying to find a non-breeding home for. Next litters are due in January and February 2013.
I took Onion to the vet on Monday (12/3/12) as his eye condition worsened and it became clear that it wasn't an eye infection. The vet confirmed my suspicion that Onion has a corneal ulcer. I paid $22 for a cream that I've been putting in his bad eye every 2 hours during waking hours. He goes back to the vet tomorrow (12/7/12) to get the second medication (steroids) to help him heal. He's expected to make a full recovery, but it's unknown if his eye problems will be re-occuring.
Rumple (formerly known as Boy) will also be going in tomorrow to re-check his condition. He still looks like a female externally, and his bottom simply will not heal up. Hopefully I can get a better idea of what his options are.
In other news, Autumn has a potential home, pending an FIV/FeLeuk test next week! Yay!
Papa and Chiko are my newest project. Check the Chinchilla tab for more info on them. I'm helping someone else place them (they are not
Follow along with the joys and heartbreaks of one small-time hobby breeder.